by Lauren Tarshis
- What is the setting (time and place)
- Who are the two main characters?
- Where is Carmen from?
- How did Carmen’s mother die?
- Where does Tony live?
- Who is Rosie?
- Why can they get molasses from the large tank?
- Name three things molasses used to make.
- Where is the strange noise coming from?
- Why does Rosie lick Tony’s face?
- What is wrong with Carmen’s father?
- What is the newspaper boy shouting?
- What bad thing happened after the earthquake in Italy?
- What happened to Carmen’s father?
- Where does she live now?
- What are Mr and Mrs Grasso planning?
- Where does Carmen go when she is sad?
- How many children do the Grassos have?
- What does Carmen lose when she falls asleep?
- What is Rosie eating?
- Who finds Carmen and Rosie?
- What is making “bang” noises like bullets?
- Why does Carmen fall off Rosie?
- How tall is the wave of molasses?
- What do Tony and Carmen hang on to?
- Name three things they see in the molasses.
- What words does Carmen imagine her father saying?
- How does she get her head above the molasses?
- What does Carmen grab to float?
- How many people died?
- How long was Carmen in the hospital?
- Where did she get stitches?
- Who comes to visit Carmen?
- Who does Carmen see outside?
- How many people had been hurt?
- Why did the molasses tank explode?
- What are the good smells Mrs Grasso is making?
- What is the surprise for Carmen?
- What does Nonna smell like?
Writing About the Molasses Flood
- What made the rescue efforts more difficult?
- What did firefighters spray to clean the molasses?
- How long did the clean-up take?
- Where do the men want to take the children and teacher?
- How many sleds are there?
- What hits the horse?
The Molasses Company Refused to Take Blame
- What was the name of the company?
- Did the judge think there was a bomb?
- How much did the company pay the victims?
- Now, what does a company need to get to build a giant tank?
- What is the scientific term for the way molasses bubbles?
- Why did people use molasses instead of sugar?
- What year did women earn the right to vote?
- How many people died in WWI?
- What day is Armistice Day?
- How many people died from the “Spanish Influenza”
- What recipe is in the book?