by Lauren Tarshis
- What is the date?
- What is the main character’s name?
- Who is missing?
- How much did their farm cost?
- Who are the 3 boys John’s age?
- Where is the King Rattler’s den?
- What are they eating for Sunday meal?
- What is their house made of?
- Why can’t John eat?
- What do the boys bring to kill the snake?
- How old is their teacher, Miss Ruell?
- What do the boys use as bait?
- How does Rex’s dad know the blizzards will start early?
- What ate all the wheat?
- Name two things people do to try to stop the grasshoppers.
- What killed the grasshopper eggs?
- How far can the King Rattler leap?
- Where does John fall?
- Can he swim?
- Are the boys mad at John?
- What did Peter do because he was scared?
- What kind of cloud does John see?
- What foods has Ma made for the winter?
- What foods do Ma and Franny dig up?
- What will Princess the cow eat in the winter?
- What does Rex bring for lunch every day?
- Where is Sven from?
- What happened to Peter’s brother?
- What happens when Franny licks the icicle?
- What happened to the haystack?
- Is it summer? What is the date?
- What do the children play outside?
- What makes the ROOAARR?
- Why does John go outside?
- What knocks John over?
- Who finds John?
- Where was Franny hiding?
- What can they burn if they run out of coal?
- Where do the men want to take the children and teacher?
- How many sleds are there?
- What hits the horse?
- Where do the boys decide to go?
- What happens when they all fall down?
- Where do the boys hide from the cold?
- What will happen if they sleep?
- Why do they recite poems?
- How many people died?
- How long does John sleep?
- What happened to each boy (Rex, Sven, Peter) because of the blizzard?
- Who is getting married?
- What do they see instead of the Rattler?
- How did Pa find his way back to the house?
- Why doesn’t John shoot the Rattler?
Gray Pages: Name four things you learned in the Gray Pages