As the kids head back to school, so do I. I’ve been going through Scholastic catalogs and textbooks and web pages listing award-winning children’s books and I’ve put together the list of books students will be reading in my Children’s Lit class this semester. I thought I’d share.
Charles Perrault’s Cinderella and the Grimm Brother’s Aschenputel, followed by two choice fairy tales.
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Choice books (one from each genre):
- The Watsons Go to Birmingham, 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis
- Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
- Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- The BFG by Roald Dahl
- Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
- Frindle by Andrew Clements
- Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
- Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
- Love that Dog by Sharon Creech
They’ll read two other choice books: one by an author whose name they’ll pick from a hat, and one based on a theme their group selects.
A lot of great books and a lot of fun! Don’t you wish you were in my class this semester?